Hey there, Happy Thursday! In honor of football season approaching my current batch of graham crackers I made with our sports cookie cutters.
Here’s the recipe I use. Do not be intimidated by making your own dough these puppies are easy and so good! The whole family loves them. Go Giants 🙂
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup butter, chilled & cubed
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup water (I end up using around 1/2 cup of water, so if it’s crumbly just add water in small increments)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- optional: 1 tablespoon wheat germ or flax seed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor or mixer combine the first 6 ingredients. (If using wheat germ or flax seed add here.)
- Add cubed and chilled butter to the mix and pulse/mix until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add honey, water and vanilla and continue to mix until it all combines.
- Remove and shape the dough into a flat disk and place between two pieces of wax or parchment paper. (I found it easier to roll the dough w/o a sheet on top of the dough.)
- Roll dough out until ¼ inch thick. Cut into crackers or shapes. Combine the dough scraps and roll out again to cut more shapes.
- Place cookies on a Silpat or parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 13-15 minutes.
- Cool and serve.
To Freeze: After step 6, place the cut out cookie shapes on a baking sheet and freeze for 20 minutes. Remove, place in a Ziploc bag, label and freeze for up to 4 months. When ready to bake, follow steps 7-8, adding an additional 1-2 minutes baking time.
*For thinner graham crackers roll dough out to ⅛” thickness and bake for about 10 minutes.